Should You Only Use Your 401(k) For Retirement?

Posted in Around the Web
November 23rd, 2010 at 3:35 pm by Ally

Todd Smith over at The Digerati Life wrote an article that talks candidly about the dangers of withdrawing money from your retirement fund during times of need.

Whether it’s the hefty taxes and penalties involved or the idea that you’re basically adding more years of working onto your life, there are plenty of reasons to only do this as a last resort.If you have no choice but to make the withdrawal, Smith encourages you to do it sparingly with enough to cover only your emergency costs. And be sure to remember to calculate any taxes you’ll owe.

Have you had to dip into your retirement fund? When do you let yourself do this? Or do you only allow yourself to pull from your Ally Bank Savings Account fund to get through tough times?

Responses to this post (2 comments)

1. 11/24/2010
    4:03 pm
    The Digerati Life says:

Thanks for the mention! I have never dipped into my retirement fund before. I believe it’s all about planning and making sure that you have a fund you can “live on” and another fund for long term savings and investments.

• 11/26/2010
      4:43 pm
      Ally says:

Not a problem. It’s our pleasure! Really interesting content you guys have over there. Cheers!

Leave a Reply

This is how you'll be referenced on the site.
Your email address will not be published.