Responses to this post (9 comments)

1. 5/12/2011
    11:55 am
    Robert Prather says:

I think it is #1 – Talking to a teller.

2. 5/12/2011
    12:52 pm
    nyc317 says:

Talking to a teller sounds like it could be the answer because someone has to pay for the employed person, a teller rather than the other three choices that need no middle man to take action on their account.

3. 5/12/2011
    1:38 pm
    Johnny Long says:

I am absolutely sure it’s #2. After the Durbin Amendment, banks are looking to recoup on lost revenue by charging annual fees on debit cards.

• 5/12/2011
      4:06 pm
      Ally says:

Really liking the feedback, guys! Don’t forget to vote on our Facebook Wall too if you haven’t already:

4. 5/12/2011
    5:38 pm
    Vicky says:

I’m going with #2 also, but from my point of view using a debit card is only good if you actually have money to cover the amt being charged. Either was which ever the answer is I can’t see as any of the choices make sense, I just keep saying I’m glad Ally operates the way they do and am glad to continue keeping money there.

5. 5/12/2011
    5:48 pm
    Amy says:

I would go with the debit card fee. I can only imagine a teller fee would lead to more fights about why there was a fee and if it was a legit (non-fee) teller transaction. But I would also bet that they start staffing fewer and fewer tellers at banks so the lines are long enough that people don’t want to wait for a teller.

6. 5/17/2011
    10:49 pm
    Dan says:

Regarding ATM fees, I’ve always wondered: what does it actually *cost* to run an ATM? It’s not free — the machines cost money, they use electricity, need to be refilled, etc. ATM fees seem ridiculous, but without any data, I can’t tell whether banks are gouging customers or fairly representing their cost to provide a service.

If I get $100 from an ATM, how much does it actually cost to get those five twenties into my wallet? I’d really like to know.

• 5/17/2011
      10:50 pm
      Ally says:

It’s a really interesting question and one that we’ve actually addressed before, Dan. Check out our blog post on The Real Cost of ATM Fees for the details: http://community.ally.com/straight-talk/2011/01/the-real-cost-of-atm-fees/ Short version of the answer? The average cost to a bank in the U.S. when a customer uses an ATM is just $0.36. With fees coming from both the traditional brick and mortar banks and the ATM averaging just over $4 now, it could mean big business for some banks.

Leave a Reply

This is how you'll be referenced on the site.
Your email address will not be published.