How You Plan and Pay for Vacation Travel [INFOGRAPHIC]

Posted in Community, Infographics
May 31st, 2011 at 2:03 pm by Ally

We partnered with the Opinion Research Corporation to survey over 1,000 people on their summer travel plans and found a wealth of information on what’s important to them here at Ally. Whether it’s how they prefer to travel or how they budget for their trips, today’s consumers are planning their vacations in ways that assure they’re making the most of their money.

If you’re holding out on planning a trip until you find just the right deal, CNN has some tips on how to craft a memorable vacation without breaking the bank. Swapping houses with someone across the world can allow you to truly live like a local while also letting you relax like you’re on holiday. They also recommend scouring travel search sites such as Kayak and Yapta to make sure you’re getting the best deal on your fare and accommodation.

Take a look at our survey findings and see how your summer travel plans stack up.

How important are vacations to you? What do you end up spending the most money on when you travel?

Ally Bank looks at how Americans plan for their vacations and how they pay for them.

Responses to this post (46 comments)

1. 6/25/2011
    5:57 pm
    Blaine says:

Can’t believe Ally Bank does not have an app for android or iphone. This is a MUST for a bank without branches.

• 6/27/2011
      8:03 am
      Ally says:

We’re working on one, Blaine. We appreciate your patience and hope to get you something soon enough!

2. 7/29/2011
    2:57 pm
    James J. Monge says:

We will stay home, traveling 84 miles on occasion to the cabin by car.

3. 7/30/2011
    12:19 pm
    Gay says:

We will travel by motorhome, we are also vendors who combine travel for pleasure with travel for profit. Not a bad life.

4. 8/1/2011
    9:21 am
    Summer says:

I would suggest camping “tenting” in the white mountains – beautiful, pristine, so close to nature. Saves a packet on accommodation and food, and with all that wonderful hiking and canoeing/ kayaking does so much to boost the body, mind and soul. We do some every summer!!!

5. 8/1/2011
    10:06 am
    Michael says:

I’m going to take several trips to New York City this summer, but since I live in Manhattan I will be walking and taking the subway.

6. 8/1/2011
    10:10 am
    Daniel says:

For my 10-day vacation to visit family, I traveled by plane, using the rewards points off my primary credit card to pay for about half the ticket. Without those points reducing the price, I wouldn’t have gone.

7. 8/1/2011
    10:51 am
    chaz says:

watch out for Enterprise car rental, very hardsell for the “after rental” add-ons that you dont need. Not just all the insurance, but road side assistance, prepaid gas. wastes a lot of time, then after all that waiting, they tell you they dont have the car on the lot that you reserved. Will never use them again.

8. 8/1/2011
    11:07 am
    Danny says:

Back and forth to a summer cabin on a lake, and a week’s camping in Rhode Island. New England has plenty to offer in the summer….by car.

9. 8/1/2011
    11:19 am
    HQ66Tom says:

Travel by air. It is a lot less comfortable than just a few years ago, and certainly not inexpensive. However, when you add up wear and tear on an auto, plus gasoline, plus other periodic service, plus tolls, plus eating out at overpriced places near the interstate highways, plus lodging, then air is the least expensive. Of course, auto is the only way to travel when there are multiple destinations, viewing scenery is part of the travel plan, or you need to carry several bags or large packages with you.

10. 8/1/2011
    11:26 am
    maddy says:

We arriveed by plane in northern Belize then traveled by local bus, and boats with backpacks to exit out of Panama. Not a trip for those requiring comfort and pampering, but certainly the way to get to know the area.

11. 8/1/2011
    2:22 pm
    Mike Amor says:

We our traveling by car to see our grandkids in Atlanta. Make that trip twice a year. Going on a big vacation this fall to Jamacia.

12. 8/1/2011
    2:26 pm
    Georgi says:

Will go to Hawaii for a week!!!!i agree with Blaine about Iphone app :) :)

13. 8/1/2011
    2:36 pm
    sammydavisjrjr says:

I will travel with my Trek road bike. Love it!

14. 8/1/2011
    2:44 pm
    Mack says:

I expect to take day trips by auto to visit my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren between their vacations.

15. 8/1/2011
    2:45 pm
    Timetraveler says:

This summer I will be traveling in time, not location. It’ll cost me far less. Exxon-Mobil will have to make their record profits without my help.

16. 8/1/2011
    2:45 pm
    Spicy lady says:

I’ll be traveling to Malawi to visit my husband in the Peace Corps and take him on a safari. He is getting paid $4 a day so I’ll be treating!!

17. 8/1/2011
    2:46 pm
    Cyn says:

We will be traveled by plane for one vacation and by car for the end of the summer getaway,

18. 8/1/2011
    2:54 pm
    Joe says:

We will accept the best deals on vacations available by travelling by car No airports for us.

19. 8/1/2011
    3:00 pm
    Charlie says:

I will not travel this summer. We take our vacation time after all the crowds have gone home. If most people would just sacrifice one summer without filling the coffers of the oil companies we would see gas prices come down in a hurry.Think about it america..

20. 8/1/2011
    3:06 pm
    Jimi says:

We will not be traveling until late September and then by Air. Car will be available at destination.

21. 8/1/2011
    3:10 pm
    Aaron A. says:

I’m working like a dog this summer. We’re not going anywhere. If we can save enough we are going to Disneyworld fall 2012.

22. 8/1/2011
    3:13 pm
    Coinneach says:

No travel this year. I’ve not had a vacation since 2006 – just can’t afford it, nor afford the time off from work.

23. 8/1/2011
    3:18 pm
    dean nguyen says:

I will travel by train AMTRAC. You see a lot from the upper deck while traveling. You don’t have to yield to those crazy divers. You don’t have to remove your shoes and belt at the crowded airport. You can even relax and/or sleep peacefully like a baby in a comfortable sight seing or sleeping car.

24. 8/1/2011
    3:19 pm
    M.J. says:

We have had our summer vacation out West. The most expensive part of our summer vacation was on a day trip to the Grand Canyon Skywalk; tickets and pictures…$246 plus gas. Other than that our car rental for a week was $150, meals mostly stayed in at timeshare amounted to $161. $132 for airfare, parking and transfers using reward tickets.

25. 8/1/2011
    3:54 pm
    henry says:

several trips by car within state or neighbor states>LA, MS & TN.cost most motels.

26. 8/1/2011
    3:54 pm
    Bob says:

no traveling, no money, gas prices too high.

27. 8/1/2011
    4:14 pm
    ski says:

Travel by car. Expect to go 5,000 miles.

28. 8/1/2011
    4:29 pm
    Debbie says:

We will travel about 3-4 hours to explore some local attractions we’ve never seen before.

29. 8/1/2011
    5:14 pm
    floydphillips says:

floyd: ally your doing agood job

30. 8/1/2011
    7:40 pm
    T&B says:

Traveling with our trailer to visit family this summer.
    Next year 12 or so weeks to national parks.
    Saving, Saving, Saving at Ally.

31. 8/1/2011
    7:44 pm
    Nancy says:

We combined a staycation with car travel this summer. The first week we did things around the house to spruce it up in preparation for our daughter’s wedding this year. We even started to demo our deck to get ready for a new one! We then traveled to Maine to spend time with my husband’s sister and her husband at their lake cottage in Maine!

32. 8/1/2011
    8:45 pm
    Tracy says:

We will be staying home and visiting local attractions. Gas is too expensive!

• 8/3/2011
      11:35 am
      Ally says:

Wow, guys. Lots of great stuff here and we hope that everyone has fun! For those that aren’t making their escape, we hope you manage something soon enough.

33. 8/2/2011
    12:48 am
    peppermint patty says:

taking 1st vacation away in long time; usually stay home because I live @ the beach.
    Flying, only because Spirit $9.00 club had great rate…round trip for under $150; unheard of…so took advantage.

34. 8/2/2011
    8:21 am
    Jackpot says:

Traveling by car because I have a cat that loves the car.We will be “on the road again” in September. Going to northern Vermont for several weeks visiting an old friend.

35. 8/2/2011
    11:18 am
    Nate says:

Heading to vegas in September for a guys weekend. Flying from Detroit to Vegas and back.. both nonstop for $365. Fair deal in my estimate.

36. 8/2/2011
    12:37 pm
    Mike says:

Ally should set up travel agency, get us some good deals.

37. 8/2/2011
    2:50 pm
    clint says:

I drove to Charleston and took a cruise ship to Bermuda, not a bad trip….if the econemy is better I hope to go to Brazil next year.

38. 8/2/2011
    5:32 pm
    suesaver says:

Summer is tooooo glorious in Upstate NY to travel any where. we’ll stay at home and do our traveling in the winter to escape the cold.

39. 8/2/2011
    6:36 pm
    Pamela says:

We never vacation in the summer – things are too crowded and this summer especially, way too hot. Plan on hitting the NC mountains this Fall.

40. 8/2/2011
    9:28 pm
    Work for my money says:

We flew into Phoenix and the drove up through the desert to Hoover Dam and the over to Las Vegas before back tracking over to the Grand Canyon. The days of cheap meals while on the strip are definetly history. Nothing is cheap about Vegas and to go to the Grand Canyon is very expensive if staying at one of the 3 motels outside the park entrance. A trip back down to Phoenix through Sedona for the flight home. Just a hint to those doing these touristy visits to be prepared to drop some big money for just basic lodging and meals. And I never bet any money in Vegas!

41. 8/4/2011
    12:59 pm
    tennisace41 says:

Cannot plan a summer vacation until bank accounts start paying a reasonable rate of interest.

42. 8/11/2011
    12:16 pm
    jazzy says:

we did a stayvacation air fare is to high and can,t afford.

43. 9/19/2011
    12:46 pm
    Beverly Reich says:

I have an online AmEx savings account and would like to know if I can obtain travelers checks through my account.

• 11/19/2013
      3:26 pm
      Eugene says:

Try to obtain funds from other sources for any additional requirements you may need. Prepaid cards can work in your favor because they offer the familiar benefits of traditional credit cards without the unwanted fees and interest charges. If you are still not a part of the users of online cash cards in India, you are only lagging behind.

Leave a Reply

This is how you'll be referenced on the site.
Your email address will not be published.