A Week of New Banking Products on the Ally Straight Talk Blog

Posted in Community
June 21st, 2011 at 10:03 am by Ally

This week on the Ally Straight Talk Blog, we’re excited to announce new products and services that will make banking with us even more convenient for you and better for your money.

Here at Ally, we are dedicated to providing an easier, better and hassle-free banking experience. Some of it’s already here: nationwide reimbursement of other banks ATM fees, 24/7 live customer care, and products with rates that are consistently among the most competitive in the country.

That’s yesterday’s work. Today’s and tomorrow’s work is to make sure we are constantly adapting to provide our customers the best banking experience. That’s what this week is all about with the launch of our new products and services. They will be highlighted, one a day, throughout the rest of this week.

Starting Wednesday we’ll introduce Popmoney, a simple way to pay other people, anytime. Popmoney lets you send money to anyone in the U.S. with just their email address or mobile phone number. No routing or account numbers needed.

Thursday we’ll highlight our new Raise Your Rate 4-Year CD. Start with a great rate, and then if our rates go up, you have the option to increase yours twice during your CD term. You now have the benefit of a long-term savings product with added flexibility.

Friday we’ll present Ally’s new line of IRAs. These come with many of the same benefits that make our current savings products so great. Two even give you the option to raise your rate.

Which of our new products look the most exciting to you? Is there a specific one that you’ve been waiting for?

Responses to this post (24 comments)

1. 6/21/2011
    10:24 am
    Josh says:

Yes! I’ve been waiting on Ally to get IRAs for a while now. The only other thing I need now in order to ditch my old bank completely is an Ally credit card.

2. 6/21/2011
    12:42 pm
    Yomar says:

It would be very interesting to see Ally launch and compete in the credit card world. Is it possible for Ally to offer the best credit card ever?

3. 6/21/2011
    12:50 pm
    Yomar says:

Certainly the best news around was the launch of the Ally Perks program it is awesome to receive deposits directly to your account for using Ally Master Card. I’m just waiting to se more participating stores,restaurants,and even gas stations!

• 6/21/2011
      1:05 pm
      Ally says:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Hope you’re as excited as we are about the new products and services. In regards to a credit card, we haven’t heard any plans around here about one, but we’ll be sure to pass on the suggestion. Thanks again!

4. 6/21/2011
    3:16 pm
    Russ says:

How about a mobile ap for iPhone?

5. 6/21/2011
    5:45 pm
    Jim says:

I look forward to Popmoney, but am a bit confused as to how its different from using bill pay to send a check. Yes, I know they will probably be able to ACH it to their account, but seems a tad redundant.

The IRAs sound good but may be more useful to me in a few years.

I agree with others, having an Ally credit card would allow me to drop other banks entirely.

In response to Russ’ suggestion, how about an Android app? :-)

• 6/21/2011
      6:00 pm
      Ally says:

Speaking to your main point, Jim, Popmoney is all electronic so no trips to the bank are required. Also, with bill pay checks, you have to factor in time to mail and then the recipient would still need to deposit the funds into his or her bank account. With Popmoney, all the recipient would need to provide is their bank account information online and their funds are automatically deposited within 3 days. Just about the most convenient way of sending money to someone without actually handing him or her the cash. Also, the sender and recipient don’t have to share their personal information or risk having it lost in the mail.

Give it a try and let us know what you think! Just takes a moment to setup.

6. 6/21/2011
    9:38 pm
    Andrew says:

I’m with Russ… I really really wish there was an iPhone app with edeposit. This would make you the best bank on the planet hands down.

• 6/22/2011
      8:00 am
      Ally says:

We’re working on a mobile solution, Russ and Andrew! We take the term “better banking” to heart over here, and we definitely know rolling out something for you guys like that can make us even better. Thanks for the feedback!

7. 6/22/2011
    9:50 pm
    Nate says:

I agree. I need Ally on my iphone stat…

• 6/23/2011
      8:10 am
      Ally says:

Appreciate the feedback, Nate, and we make sure to read every comment here. Just like above, we’re definitely moving forward on something for you guys.

8. 6/23/2011
    11:34 am
    Eric says:

Mobile Banking on iPhone, iPad and Android with remote check deposit and fraud alert. I would completely switch to Ally for all my banking needs…

9. 6/23/2011
    2:26 pm
    Brandon says:

I’m with you Eric. The only reason I haven’t left ING Direct since the news of the buyout is because of their iPhone app. If Ally had one, I would switch over tomorrow!

10. 6/26/2011
    4:22 am
    Jarrett Huxley says:

I’m excited about Popmoney! I’d love for you all to one day have NFC debit cards as an option. I’d honestly have no issue paying a separate one time re-order fee to make my debit card a con tactless NFC card! I love NFC cards, they’re the future available now, and I would looooove you all to consider them to supplement your already awesome product line.

• 6/27/2011
      8:10 am
      Ally says:

Thanks for the suggestion, Jarrett! And we’re glad that you like Popmoney. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. About NFC debit cards, we’ve forwarded on your comment to the right people. Thanks again.

11. 7/12/2011
    2:46 pm
    Taka Torimoto says:

Are there any fees in using Popmoney? Sounds like an awesome service! Also – do you ever plan on making a mobile-friendly website – or even a native Android/iOS app?

12. 8/1/2011
    9:01 pm
    TnHiker says:

Popmoney looks like a great idea. I’ve used BillPay for years and it works great for ACH payments to those “larger” firms that have registered accounts with your BillPay bank, however, all other payees, especially individuals, must be sent a check from my BillPay service. Getting funds to an individual’s bank account via BillPay is a tricky proposition–I know, one of my friends sends money to my bank account using BillPay and it always seems to take a few extra days for the bank personnel to figure out what to do with the mailed-in check.

Being able to easily ACH money to an individual’s bank account is a great step forward. I look forward to trying it.

• 8/1/2011
      9:40 pm
      Ally says:

It’s live now, TnHiker, so definitely give it a try. And be sure to let us know how you like it! We’ve heard some great things so far. 

13. 11/8/2011
    2:20 pm
    John Bennett says:

An Ally-branded credit card would definitely be a welcome addition so that I could cut all ties with my “other” bank.

• 11/10/2011
      4:05 pm
      Ally says:

Thanks for the +1, John. Appreciate that.

14. 12/11/2011
    1:15 pm
    heath says:

An iPhone/Android app with picture check deposit is really really needed. This is especially true for a online only bank.

15. 1/25/2012
    1:36 pm
    Scott says:

+1 on the credit card as well. If that came to be, Ally would be my only bank. Also equally excited for the upcoming mobil app. Those two things alone would help generate a lot more buzz about Ally, and I would guess a lot more people switching.

• 1/25/2012
      1:40 pm
      Ally says:

A credit card is currently not in the pipeline, Scott, but our mobile apps definitely are! Look out for an update on our Straight Talk Blog soon, highlighting the upcoming features for the first mobile rollout.

Leave a Reply

This is how you'll be referenced on the site.
Your email address will not be published.