An Open Letter from Ally Bank To ING Direct Customers

Posted in What's New
July 19th, 2011 at 11:12 am by Ally

As many of you probably saw in the news, Capital One recently announced purchasing ING Direct, an online bank that offers some of the same benefits as Ally. We know that our customers would be concerned if a new bank bought Ally, so today’s post is directed to those savvy ING Direct account-holders who are looking around and considering their options.

We’re happy to say that the benefits of banking with Ally will sound pretty familiar to an ING Direct customer. We have an award-winning Online Savings Account, competitive rates and no monthly maintenance fees. We even offer some things ING Direct doesn’t, like 24/7 live customer service, interest that compounds on a daily basis, nationwide ATM fee reimbursements, and products like Raise Your Rate CDs and No Penalty CDs.

So in the event that you’re looking for a new place to bank, why not take a look at what Ally has to offer? People all across the country have been talking about how great it is to bank with Ally. Take a look at all we have to offer and see if Ally’s right for you. And if you have any questions don’t forget we’re here 24/7 for all of your banking needs.

Sincerely,
Your Friends at Ally Bank

Responses to this post (46 comments)

1. 7/19/2011
    12:35 pm
    Vicky says:

Makes no difference what type of account you have or how much monies you might have in those accounts. Ally treats each one of their customers with respect and respond in a quick and timely manner when answering any and all questions new and/or existing customers have regardless how many times you might ask a question.
    I joined about 2 1/2 years ago when they were GMAC and thought I was being mislead when they Changed the name to Ally however, I have been pleasantly surprised that there have been not issues with any of their products or services and the interest they are paying now and have been paying still beats the other institutions I have funds in. So if you have any questions at all please ask them or any of their customers we are proud to say we are members of Ally bank.

2. 7/19/2011
    1:11 pm
    Kat says:

I want to make the switch but need mobile banking!

• 7/19/2011
      1:32 pm
      Ally says:

We’re working on it, Kat! Stay tuned!

3. 7/19/2011
    7:13 pm
    Victoria - Ozarks Crescent Mural says:

That’s why I’m a new Ally customer. I was with ING Direct for many years, but the philosophy differences between ING Direct and Capital One are so radically opposite that I went looking for a new bank.

I’m happy to say I’m here because Ally actually offers more than ING Direct did, which I didn’t think was possible, but it is.

Plus, I love the purple!

Thanks Ally for welcoming me to my new banking home.

• 7/20/2011
      8:35 am
      Ally says:

Welcome to Ally, Victoria! And we truly do think we are a better banking experience over here. Hopefully we can live up to those lofty expectations! Also, definitely check out our new tab here too where you can share your experience as well: http://www.facebook.com/AllyBank?sk=app_128262227261681

4. 7/19/2011
    7:35 pm
    Jesse says:

YOU guys won’t be be leaving us like ING, right Ally??

• 7/20/2011
      8:28 am
      Ally says:

No plans on anything changing over here right now, Jesse.

5. 7/20/2011
    2:29 pm
    Geoff says:

Hooray for Ally!

• 7/20/2011
      2:45 pm
      Ally says:

Thanks, Geoff! Glad to have you in our corner.

6. 7/21/2011
    10:30 am
    Conner says:

When I switch will my accounts say Ally or GMAC?

• 7/21/2011
      10:35 am
      Ally says:

If you’re talking about bank accounts, we’re 100% Ally Bank, Conner!

7. 7/21/2011
    4:05 pm
    PDX_Saver says:

I’ll be switching to Ally before CapOne moves in! Will you have an App soon? How easy will it be to transfer funds from my ING accounts to Ally?

• 7/21/2011
      4:46 pm
      Ally says:

Then welcome to Ally, PDX! It’s very easy to move funds over our way. Shouldn’t have an issue there. In the case of mobile, we’ve been working on a solution, so keep an eye out! Take a look at the tab that we’ve linked above as well and let us know about your switch. We’d love that!

8. 7/21/2011
    11:53 pm

Ally, I have posted on your FB wall before :)

Conner, It says Ally.

PDX, I’d like an App myself for my iPad 2, so an iPhone app would work great for me. Hopefully they’ll do one for Android too. It is easy to change banks. I just linked my ING Direct account on my Ally and then moved it all over.

9. 7/22/2011
    8:54 am
    Laxman Bhattarai says:

I really wanted to move my checking and savings accounts to Ally but I was rejected couple of times of Ally.

10. 7/22/2011
    12:19 pm
    Amy says:

I have CDs with Ally but no regular checking accounts. The thing that I really like about ING has been that it’s easy to spin up a new account for targeted savings (e.g. “Car fund”).

Is that also true of Ally? I don’t know a lot about Capital One so I don’t know if I need to jump yet, but I’m definitely keeping my eyes open.

11. 7/22/2011
    10:17 pm

Laxman, I’d ask Ally why they rejected you and if it’s something you can fix, then you could do it and then reapply.

Amy, Ally’s savings are the same. I have nicknamed all of mine just like I did at ING Direct and you can have more than one.

Ally, the only thing I miss from ING Direct is that in my checking account they would show pending, meaning those who have hit my account for a payment, but the payment is still in processing and hasn’t actually gone through all the way. I really, really miss seeing that. That’s very useful. Please consider adding it.

• 7/23/2011
      10:24 am
      Ally says:

Thanks for stepping in there, Victoria, and we’ve definitely heard that feedback. Been collecting those responses for our team and making sure they’ve seen the request. Appreciate the feedback!

12. 7/23/2011
    2:26 pm
    Tim says:

I am a recent ING switcher and have to say so far so good. Only thing that would make Ally perfect is the iPhone app or mobile version of the site, but Ally has said numerous times that they are working on it. In the mean time I just use mobile safari and the regular site works just fine.
    I decided to look elsewhere when I heard that Cap One was purchasing ING and have had bad experiences in the past. I was happy to see how much more Ally offered over ING as well. Checks, and no ATM fees are my favorites. The upcoming eCheck deposit feature will definitely save me many trips to my old local bank so looking forward to that.
    I was a little discouraged when I read some of the bad reviews out there but my experience has been nothing but good. I have contacted customer service several times and have always been treated professionally and had all my questions and concerns answered in a timely manner. When it comes to reviews I believe that mostly upset people are motivated to leave reviews more that satisfied people.
    I have already had a friend I referred sign up. Would be nice to have a referral bonus of some sort ;-)
    Keep up the good work Ally. Glad to be here!

• 7/23/2011
      2:30 pm
      Ally says:

Really glad to have you and that great story there, Tim. We really like hearing how people have come over and what they’ve experienced so far. Definitely gives us a high standard to live up to and we enjoy the challenge. We’d love if you could leave your comments where we’ve got a few other new customers giving us feedback (http://www.facebook.com/AllyBank?sk=app_128262227261681) and appreciate the patience on the mobile front. Thanks for the comment and suggestions too and welcome to Ally!

13. 7/25/2011
    9:46 am
    Member of the Original Orange says:

There will never be another ING DIRECT. ING DIRECT is the orginator. Many have tried to copy and none have or will ever be as succcesul. Although ING DIRECT is going away I am sure the ING DIRECT spirit will be carried on by Capital One. Capital One choose ING DIRECT because they know quality.

14. 7/26/2011
    9:14 am
    Harvey says:

Ally is a fantastic bank to deal with.

But there are some things that ING can offer that Ally doesn’t offer yet.

1. Customer can easily close their accounts without having to call in. And you don’t have to see a 0 balance account on the page.
    2. Customer can control their CD options much easier than Ally.
    3. Notice how USAA banking allows customers to group their accounts in various ways – from categories to reordering their accounts within the categories.

15. 7/27/2011
    2:49 pm
    Max says:

I was a very loyal ING customer for a great many years. They provided a very friendly tongue-in-cheek method of banking. This C1 purchase has driven me away. I’ve vowed to never deal with Capital One or their shady business practices. So far my transition to Ally has been seamless. I really just wish Ally could get the mobile banking ironed out. Almost every other bank has this option.

It also helps that my favorite color is purple!

16. 8/29/2011
    4:45 am
    Bob says:

On the recurring ACH transfer page, allow ‘quarterly’ transfers as well. Not just weekly and monthly transfers. Many Homeowner Associations only do quarterly payments.

• 8/29/2011
      8:00 am
      Ally says:

Thanks for that feedback, Bob! We’ll pass that along to the team over here. In the meantime, have you tried out our Idea Share platform on Facebook? http://www.facebook.com/AllyBank?sk=app_112118792191546 We’re collecting Ideas on how we can help give our customers an even better banking experience.

17. 10/15/2011
    3:11 pm
    Joe says:

Ally would be great if its website could be more accessible to its blind customers. I’m sure it’s not a comment the bank receives on a daily basis, but with so many baby boomers approaching the age where vision fails, it would be a huge benefit to have an online tool that works well with screen readers.

• 10/15/2011
      3:20 pm
      Ally says:

Thanks for your comment, Joe. This is a great recommendation and we’re passing this along on our end. Hope you’re a happy customer otherwise!

18. 10/27/2011
    1:15 pm
    Andy says:

Trying out Ally right now. I have 2 concerns…

I heard Ally changed its handling of ACH last year and the transfer are slower and more finicky. Not sure if it’s true, but I’m also trying out Alliant Credit Union as an alternative that’s supposedly faster.

One of the best things about ING is the overdraft… it turns into a credit line with no fees, just charged interest. Any chance of something like that as a new product feature in the future for customers with good credit scores?

• 10/27/2011
      4:44 pm
      Ally says:

We’d love to hear feedback there, Andy. Hopefully it’s up to par with what you expect. And that’s an interesting point too. We take a different approach with overdraft (you can only be charged one fee per day… just $9), but that’s certainly something to consider. We’re passing along the idea. Thanks for the comment!

19. 11/1/2011
    1:38 pm
    Brenda says:

I’ve been thinking about opening an ING account for about 6 months and am finally getting around to it but was REALLY put off to read all the news about the Capital One buyout.
    So glad I found this forum, I’m definitely going to give Ally a shot. No more big banks for me. Moving all of my Citibank accounts over. YAY!

20. 2/24/2012
    11:14 am
    Ken says:

I’m presently an ING customer and considering the switch to Ally due to the recent CapOne announcement. Two things that would hold that up are 1) Mobile App, and 2) Overdraft $9. ING got it right with the overdraft approach. I very seldom (once/twice a year?) need the overdraft and paying $3-4 for a few days interest is a whole lot better than $9/day in overdraft fees. Ridiculous overdraft practices at my local bank are what drove me to ING in the first place.

• 2/24/2012
      11:15 am
      Ally says:

We’d love to have you here at Ally, Ken! We’re proud of our no hidden fees and no nonsense approach to banking. As for mobile, we’re still working on our solution there and should have an update on our progress soon. Let us know if you have any other questions.

21. 4/14/2012
    3:28 pm
    Mahmoud says:

Hello, I am a new customer with Ally and I really love it. I am just wondring if you guys think about perfection. I think Ally would be perfect if they offer Mobile banking and a no overdraft fee. That would make it very hard for anyone not to chose Ally and stick with it forever.

Thank You,

• 4/14/2012
      3:30 pm
      Ally says:

Thanks for your feedback, Mahmoud. Passing this along to our team over here. Thanks again!

22. 4/22/2012
    1:37 am
    Joe says:

Does Ally have a referral program for new customers?

• 4/22/2012
      7:01 am
      Ally says:

At this time we don’t have a referral program for new customers, Joe. If that changes, we’ll be sure to let you know. Thanks!

23. 9/1/2012
    7:58 pm
    Rick says:

Been with Ally for albout one and half years service has been great

• 9/1/2012
      8:00 pm
      Ally says:

Thanks, Rick! We hope to have you with us here at Ally Bank for many more years to come. Sharing this with our team over here.

24. 10/5/2012
    1:05 pm
    Jeff says:

I second what Ken said. I am still with ING, and uncomfortable with Capital One and their taking over. I loved the original ING website. Capital One’s website is already starting to look different with its white background that is so hard on the eyes (loved the orange background and how simple the website worked), and their more business look with smaller fonts. It feels less customer friendly. Don’t know why they just couldn’t keep the good things… What I would love to see Ally do is implement an overdraft protection credit line that is linked to checking accounts, but have Ally use the same method as ING, where they charge just pennies in interest each month when using that back up credit line. That line doesn’t have to be that big, No more than a thousand would be good. I also would like to see a good Mobile App that is friendly to use and that includes the ability to deposit checks. Last but just as important, a good Person to Person payments option both on website and Mobile app, and a super friendly website!

• 10/5/2012
      1:07 pm
      Ally says:

Jeff, we appreciate your suggestions and recommendations. Feedback like this will help us improve our services.

Our second mobile rollout is scheduled to launch within the next few months and it is expected to include the Ally eCheck Deposit feature for mobile. We’ll have an update for our community as soon as we’re able to. Thanks again for your suggestions. If you have any questions, you can reach our Ally Care team 24/7 at 1-877-247-2559.

25. 10/5/2012
    1:10 pm
    Jeff says:

One more thing… ATM withdrawal limits need to be high while security strong. I like to have the freedom to use my money as I see fit while knowing that my money is well protected.

• 10/5/2012
      1:12 pm
      Ally says:

Thanks for your feedback, Jeff. We’re passing this along to our team over here. If you need immediate help with a withdrawal, please give our Ally Care team a call 24/7 at 1-877-247-2559. Thanks.

26. 2/8/2013
    7:07 am
    Yvonne says:

I liked ING tremendously…I liked their business model and super easy bill pay system. I felt “sassy” banking there and earning more than everyone else. They seemed unique….I liked the orange ball and how they referred to me as a Saver…which I am. I hate that CapitalOne bought them out…changed everything to red, white and blue (horrible) and didn’t even have the audacity to respond to my feedback after they asked for it! I liked things how it was, but it is no more…I didn’t want a new family or lower interest rates. No response so I moved and exercised my free will. I’m very happy with Ally so far. I like the purple too…it’s regal…not cookie cutter or obnoxious. Best of all, some of the features are BETTER: higher interest on my checking and savings than Cap1′s new lower rates, no fees, ATM fee reimbursements, free checks…switching was right for me. Ditto on Tim’s feedback for a referral bonus/I’d like that too.

• 2/12/2013
      12:13 pm
      Ally says:

Thanks, Yvonne! We’re glad you are a happy customer and it makes us happy to know that you are enjoying all of our perks!

27. 4/6/2013
    4:59 pm
    FL Girl says:

I hung in with ING as they became Capital One 360 but as of this week, I am switching to Ally. The interest rates with Ally are double that of 360. There are more ATMs in my area where I can use my Ally debit card vs. the number available with the 360 debit card. I like having the “chat” option for customer service and so far (only a few days) the service I’ve received (regarding opening new accounts, funding those accounts and adding another person to my account) has been wonderful. I did like 360′s policy for overdrafts but I like Ally’s linking a savings account to my checking just as much. The mobile ap works like a charm and I ditto Yvonne’s positive response to the regal purple of Ally’s website!

Leave a Reply

This is how you'll be referenced on the site.
Your email address will not be published.