Ally Bank Talks to Meg Favreau of WiseBread About Her Retirement Planning

Posted in Community
December 6th, 2011 at 3:24 pm by Ally

One of the great things about the financial blogger community is that its members work hard to educate consumers. Whether they’re writing about how to manage your 401(k) or surveying the nation’s thoughts on retirement, they’re often a wellspring of ideas about money and saving.

The typical financial blogger would probably say that saving for retirement is one of the most important financial steps you can take. But sometimes it’s hard to know where to start, or to know if you’re truly exploring all your options. That’s why we’ve asked some of our favorite financial bloggers to tell us how they’re financially preparing for their later years.

Today we’ll hear from Meg Favreau, a senior editor at WiseBread who writes about everything from making the most of your digital deals to great ideas for inexpensive dates.

When did you start saving for retirement?

I consider myself very fortunate – my parents opened a Roth IRA in my name when I was in high school.

What kind of products do you use to save for retirement – a 401(k), IRAs, CDs, a mix of these and others? What made you decide on each one?

Right now, the IRA is my primary form of saving for retirement. When I had my first “real” job after graduating from college, I opted to not enroll in the 401(k). The company only started matching contributions after a year, and since I didn’t want to be at the job long, I thought it was silly to contribute without the match. I definitely regret that now.

How do you envision your retirement? When will it begin? How will you spend your time?

I envision my retirement as a time when I am still working, but working on my own projects, and with more flexibility to do things like travel. As for when it will begin? Honestly, I haven’t put much thought into that. I think it’s partially because I can’t imagine a time in my life when I wouldn’t want to work in some capacity.

What advice do you have for someone who needs to begin saving for retirement but isn’t sure where to start?

If you have a 401(k) or 403(b) at work, contribute! Having the money automatically taken out of your paycheck makes saving much easier. If you don’t, open an IRA, a CD, a savings account – anything you can use to start stashing your cash. Even if you feel like you can’t contribute much, it helps so much to just start doing something.

Do you always contribute to your 401(k) when you begin a new job? How do you envision your retirement?

Responses to this post (2 comments)

1. 12/6/2011
    4:06 pm
    Dan C. says:

This is really cool. Thank you for procuring this content.

-From a real person.

• 12/6/2011
      4:15 pm
      Ally says:

Thanks for checking out the blog, Dan. – From a fellow human being.

Leave a Reply

This is how you'll be referenced on the site.
Your email address will not be published.