Ally Asks: Are You Keeping Financially Fit with an Emergency Fund?

Posted in Community
March 20th, 2012 at 9:00 am by Ally

Your finances are a lot like your physical health. Both require discipline, perseverance and focus to ensure fitness. But while these goals might sound a bit difficult, it’s important to remember that working hard at both your physical and your financial health will help ensure a positive payoff.

An important part of keeping financially fit is having a solid emergency fund. Many experts recommend that your emergency fund contain enough to cover at least three months’ worth of expenses. But with nearly a quarter of American households with incomes between $100,000 and $150,000 saying it would be difficult to come up with $2,000, it sounds like not enough of us are saving.

We want to hear about your emergency fund. Tell us in the comments, or leave us a message on Facebook or Twitter. We’ll follow up in a few weeks and take a look at various strategies our community members are using to ensure they’re always in good financial shape.

How did you build your emergency fund? If you don’t have one, will you building one sometime in 2012?

Related / Popular Links

Responses to this post (1 comment)

1. 3/27/2012
    9:51 pm
    John says:

I built my emergency fund over years of just saving. I’m naturally frugal, like my father, so it was pretty easy to save up. I think I started with about $1,000 about 4, maybe 5 years ago, and now it’s up to $6,000, which is a little less than three months of expenses I think. But that is just in my savings account. Once I get a little more above that I plan on moving it to a CD and then putting money in the savings account and saving up some more.

Leave a Reply

This is how you'll be referenced on the site.
Your email address will not be published.