What People Won’t Sacrifice in Order to Save

Saving money is one of the best ways to feel happy, according to our “Money-and-Happiness Survey.” But there are still some things that people won’t sacrifice in order to save.

Check out the infographic below for a closer look at what people aren’t willing to give up in order to enjoy the benefits of saving.


Copy and paste the embed code below to share this infographic:

What aren’t you willing to give up in order to enjoy the benefits of saving?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

External Link Image Label Links to non-Ally websites

We provide links to third-party websites for your convenience. Although we provide a link, Ally Financial is not responsible, nor can we guarantee their products, services, or information. We suggest you review their online policy and security practices to learn about this third party and how they handle consumer information.


  1. 4
    Frank Colesanti

    Ally would get much more of my savings, if the rate of return was higher. There are several banking and Federal Credit Unions that are providing higher return on savings. Anyone interested in giving up anything will do business with the institute that provides the highest rate of returns.

  2. 5
    Mr. Gregg

    I decided to trade my taking a vacation and invest in a remodeling of my bathroom. The vacation only lasts for a short time in comparison to my “new” bathroom that I can enjoy everyday for a long, long time.

  3. 10

    I cut back on almost everything. Put the money first to expenses required to make an income, like transportation. When going gets though, there are a lot of recipes for beans and corn bread.

  4. 13

    Heat!! It is below freezing near Seattle! Also giving to the less fortunate…temps in the teens cause the homeless to be freezing on the streets tonight. I would buy them all blankets if I could afford it.

  5. 18
    Gary W,

    Saving money is important but exercise and health are more important. If your not alive you can’t enjoy either.
    Always looking for best rates for my social security. May jump to other bank at any time with better rate. Inflation don’t keep up with my property taxes.

    • 20

      That makes sense, Nathaniel. Our most recent TweetChat asked participants what was more important: financial health or physical health? Sounds like you fall in the latter category!

    • 24

      Sounds like you agree with our survey results, Annie! Doing what you love – with people you care about – is an important contributor to overall happiness.

  6. 25

    I am cutting back on everything I can to try to save money. I don’t have any money in my new budget for dining out and who can afford a vacation?

  7. 27

    I gave up an expensive life style when I was working so I could enjoy the time I have now in retirement doing all the above if desired.

  8. 29

    If CD rates, MM rates, were higher, I would not have to have 75% of my IRA, Roth, and other savings in stock market related savings. I don’t want that high a %, at my age, my life savings, at stock market risks!

  9. 30

    I’m not going to give up Tithing because God’s 10% belongs to Him. He blessed me with the income and I want to give him what’s His and enjoy the remaining 90%.

  10. 33

    I wish we could save more. The hectic lifestyles we live often cause us to eat/order out for food. We also have large medical bills for our family. I try to creatively restructure debt whenever possible while still saving 12% of our salaries for retirement. I just wish the necessities of our modern world weren’t so expensive (TV/cable/FIOS and cellphones).

  11. 35
    john kucza

    willing to sacrifice frivolous items that include playfull games whether online in the interne or whatever. always looking for ways to save money.

  12. 38
    Raymond C.

    You know something, I was really feeling down & out with me becoming a “homebody”, since living in NYC is costly enough without the extravagant lifestyles. Yet, after seeing I’m not alone in these matters, I can admit saving money does put a smile on my face from time to time. (Better income could also help, but “hey!”) Keeping up with family and my closest friends is always better than money. Love with that “special someone” will definitely always be better than money. I can’t sacrifice food though.

Leave a Comment